Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to downsample (decimate) these signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giorgi3092

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, another problem I'd like some clarification on, although I have my own answers.

1641919646853.png

When downsampling is performed, sampling theorem should still be fulfilled. So, in the first problem, we can downsample to fs=4kHz and we still fulfill the sampling theorem (2000*2 = 4 kHz). And the decimation factor is 2.

How about the next 2 problems tho?
My thinking is that if we were to downsample those by any factor, aliasing would be inevitable, hence, they cannot be downsampled. Is this correct?

Attachments

• 1641919629788.png
    1641919629788.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 189

I would say it is possible to decimate any of these signals. Whether or not the decimated signal contains any useful or usable information is a completely separate matter, in my opinion.

I would say it is possible to decimate any of these signals. Whether or not the decimated signal contains any useful or usable information is a completely separate matter, in my opinion.
Obviously that's not what the OP is asking for, although he should have mentioned recoverability of the original signal. The questions are popular exercise problems and have meaningful and well defined answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.