Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In order to measure the line voltage 220Vac/50Hz with a low accuracy (+/- 2%), I need to peak of the rectified waveform by the ADC of a microcontroller. If I use a low value of filter capacitor, the ripple os too much to give even low accuracy. If I use a high value, the response of voltage drop is toooo low. Any ideas what to do here.

Hi,

Put a diode in serie with your resistor that you use to charge the C also use a large R to discharge the C all the time...

paul.

If you can measure undetected signal calculate differentiation for consequitive results .
d = measure2 - measure1 .
Then compare consequitive d results and when d will
be minimal measure 1 and 2 will give you 220 AC voltage peak value . Just Low pass filter will be needed
(if voltage drops and peaks do not have to be measured ) which cut off freq above 50 Hz .
Sampling frequency must be much more high than 50 Hz to properly detect peak value.

From simple math differential of cos is sin and when sin pass the 0 it means least acceleration change which could only be the case of peak in cos signal .

Following the same Arten idea; I read some time ago a paper and the method used is d = (measure2)^2 - (measure1 )^2, I remember that this formula is related to the power of the signal. Now I'm looking for this related paper, if I find it I’ll tell you.

Best regards....

I used this formula to detect spike in a function into a 16f877, and work very well.

I just got another idea. If I use a simple peak detector (diode, capacitor and large discharge resistor) and then read the charged capacitor for the peak value, and then use a port pin of microcontroller to discharge the capacitor through a small resistor, I can achieve both objectives of a ripple free measurement and fast response.

Any comments on this scheme before I try it out?

hi,

it is not good idea to use peak detector if you have noisy signal
you'd better have to use long, not rectangular window,
(Blakman-Harris, Hamming etc...)
calculate sum(sqr-signal(i)*sqr-window(i)) and then divide it by sum(sqr-window)
note:
---the sampling freq must be >>50Hz (eg 400Hz)
---window must be >> than period (eg 200ms)
---sum(sqr-window) is a constant
---sqr-window[N] is a constant array

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…