Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is de-emphasis in USB 3.1 standard

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking at the USB 3.1 standard. I understand that CTLE is needed at the receiver but I don't get what is "de-emphasis" in the attachment. Is this pre-emphasis at the Tx with some +ve gain and then post-emphasis which some -ve gain. In other words is that gain or amplification at the Tx before actual transmission and then gain reduction at the receiver which is described as pre (+ve) and post (-ve) emphasis and de-emphasis respectively.

Attachments

• Untitled 514.png
    Untitled 514.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 66
The table doesn't tell the whole story. Read the 3.1 physical layer specification completely, particularly 6.7 and 6.8. Did you realize that Gen 1 and Gen 2 are using adaptive equalization?

It is just like some radio & phonograph signals boost HF to normalize SNR when attenuated by the medium then restored to flat response in the Rx.
Except this is done for a few dB from 0.5 GHz to 5 GHz with the LPF pre-emphasis peaking at the 1.5 GHz pole using an underdamped up to + 3 dB peaking linear-phase filter.

This SNR boost improves the cable range and compensates for losses.
1703314935381.png

Then it look like "pre-emphasis" at the Tx and "de-emphasis" at Rx mentioned in the figure in the original post, right ?

@FvM The USB3 specification refers to de-emphasis, not pre-emphasis.
They are effectively the same subject.
Pre- for before Tx and de- for after Rx.
For pre-emphasis, the peak the gain at max f or use a digital method of mixing the amplitude of the bits before and after with an over-sampled shift register then re-mixed to shape the bit. This compensates for the frequency attenuation of the cable at USB-3 's highest speed to improve the "eye-pattern"
For de-emphasis the amplitude refers to the amplitude of the bits before emphasis is removed.

I showed the analog filter method previously for various emphasis curves. Depending on the cable losses, auto-connect equalization optimizes the de-emphasis for phase margin or maximum eye-pattern or the centre of the error free zone comparing results with different clock phases.

The user specifies dB of emphasis in the driver.

Test methods https://cdn.teledynelecroy.com/files/manuals/qphy-usb3-tx-rx-operators-manual.pdf

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back