Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] pcb soldering cleaning problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwagjj

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
when I soldered some SMD components, it looked like the solder mask got a little burnt and these brown sticky stuff was created around the pads. Unfortunately, these unknown residue covered nearby pads that prevented me to solder components to it.

Selection_001.png

Could anyone identify was these stuff are and inform me an effective way to clean it off?

If alcohol an option?

Hi,

I do not think that this is a solder mask burning, but flux which is burning. The soldering wire contains, beside SnAg and so on the so-called flux (few percent, depending of wire type). The flux help the solder to "wet" by cleaning your solder pad. This is a normal way to clean flux after soldering.

I assume, according to the photo, that it is iron soldering.
Please give us some info :
- What is the type of flux that is in your solder wire (R0L0, REH1...) ? It should be indicated on your solder wire.
- did you add extra flux (with flux pen, or brush...) ?

But, it looks like :
- there is too much flux !
- the temperature is probably too high !

According to the type of flux, a particuliar solvent needs to be use to remove flux after soldering.
But you can find general purpose flux remover. I use this one : farnell reference 3916613

regards
RG

Reactions: kwagjj

kwagjj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If that is burnt flux it can be removed with alcohol but there are better and safer solvents. I use "Ultrasolve ULS" from Electrolube.

Brian.

Reactions: kwagjj

kwagjj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back