Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB layout vs. Analog IC Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

talon

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So, I'm just going through my first college course on analog IC design and was wondering if there are any resources out there that will really teach me layout techniques well (Cadence Virtuoso)?

Also I see a lot of free online tools for PCB layout and am kinda confused where it fits into the design flow. I thought Cadence Virtuoso layout could be used and then you could send off to get your design fabricated. Am I wrong?

virtuoso is IC layout, the equivalent tool from cadence design systems for PCB layout is allegro

After fabrication, you will only get an IC (die in a package). If you want to test/use that IC you need to place it on a PCB.

Designing the PCB is much easier than the Layout because you will only draw copper traces that connect you components together and to the sources. If your components (footprints) are not so small, you can even make your PCB at home!

Thanks for the clarification. I agree that layout is tough, mostly because the errors I read off in DRC don't make much sense to me. Guess that will get easier with experience. Any good books on how to become a layout master out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back