Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Layout (Using Polygon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saleheen

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
There's function called "Polygon" in DXP. (menu+>Place=>Polygon)
My lecturer told me to use polygon to connect all the GND pads together.
But when i am connecting all the gnd using polygon, it's overlapping with almost all the other tracks. Does it cause short-circuit to the other tracks? Can someone help me in this.. Thanks

check "Clearance" rule setting is enabled. You can find these settings under Design -> Rules.. (in AD6.8). Also ensure you have assigned 'Gnd' net for the polygon.

Hope this helps.

Nishal

When I connect all the ground together.. it going to overlap with other connection.. Is it short-circuiting or its like that ?

saleheen said:
When I connect all the ground together.. it going to overlap with other connection.. Is it short-circuiting or its like that ?

When you use the Place Polygon function, there's a box in the dialog to select what to pour the net over. One of the choices is "Same Net Only" - that's the one you want to use. The polygon will automatically avoid shorting other nets. Just be sure that all of your tracks, pads, and vias have nets assigned to them before pouring the polygon.

If you have an existing polygon that you want to change, just double click on it to bring up the dialog that will allow you to change the settings. Then answer "Yes" when you click "OK" and it asks you if you want to repour the polygon.

Hi everyone,
I am working on my first PCB design project using Altium Designer and I'm confused with polygon pours. Can someone help me with these questions.

*Why do we need a polygon pour on PCB's ? Is Polygon pour required for every signal layer ?

Can you upload that "overlapping with almost all the other tracks" graph?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back