PCB Differential Pairs Impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.
A differential pair doesn't need a return path and not necessarily a ground plane below it. But the differential impedance will be lower respectively the required trace width smaller with a ground. In addition, a differential pair has a common mode impedance referred to ground. It will be strongly affected by the existence of a ground plane. For USB, a common mode impedance of 30 ohm +/- 30% is required. It can be only achieved with a ground plane.

hi

i just want to know that waht is the use of gnd plane for differential signal as i know that in differential pair both the signals gives refrence to each other.please expalin.

hi

i just want to know that waht is the use of gnd plane for differential signal as i know that in differential pair both the signals gives refrence to each other.please expalin.

in a differential plane the inverted/opposite line acts as the return current path.......but as FVM mentioned in the earlier path common mode impedance and the capacitance felt on the differential lines is a factor affected by the gnd plane ......the importance of a gnd plane in a differential signal scenario can come into picture if there is a length mismatch between the differential lines.....gnd plane can act as the return path to avoid the noise/radiation generated due to the timing mismatch.....

Differential pairs can be closely coupled or loosely coupled, have a look at this:
**broken link removed**
When a ground plane is present they will couple to it, same with a power plane if its near enough, they can also couple to each other without a ground plane, thats how ethernet works.
If there is a length mismatch you will get noise, whether the ground is there or not.

But what if for the case, if I take away the ground underneath it in order to reduce or eliminate the induced current loops under the differential pair, but replace it with other signal traces, I guess this will couple noise from the differential pair which has length mismatch to the signal traces below it.

Anyone please help to send me a free software for this or where can i download it?
Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone please help to send me a free software for this or where can i download it?
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…