Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Design career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

HasHx

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am an R&D PCB design engineer with 2 years of experience, at this point i feel like i need to improve my practical knowledge, like working in a PCB factory in order to get familiar with fabrication related details. i get a few details from my manager and i feel i need to learn more to acquire the ability to determine whats better and what is not when designing boards.

Should I go on and do that? i'm just unsure whether this would help improve my CV or not? please people with experience help!
All suggestions are appreciated.

Ciao!

Last edited:

I'm with a PCB Factory, and based on my years' experience in working in the PCB industry, I believe it's important that you understand what PCB Manufacturers do — this ensures your design specifications better serve your interests.

Also, proper understanding of the PCB manufacturing steps prevents unnecessary errors from getting transmitted during the design stage, and save much time from modifying circuit design when your design is confirmed having some manufacturable issues during the quotation or production stage.

Reactions: HasHx

HasHx

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Use google, study online information on how a PCB is made, like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIV0icM_Ujo&t=33s and learn all about the materials.
Perhaps visit a nearby PCB plant if they will accommodate you.

Also do the same for assembly, learn how placement machines word, paste, conformal coating etc.

Then with this knowledge you can design for the best of all processes.

HasHx

thanks guys! i still have one more question... how good will my chances be to get back to R&D position?

Stay in R&D, just visit other places.
Do you have assembly on site? if so visit it often, discuss your designs with the assembly dept (this is important anyway).
Do some research into what board materials are and how they are used, visit the fabricator - you don't have to work there :)

With this knowledge you will be better able to design boards so that they can be fabricated easier, assembled and tested easier and quicker - thus saving time & cost.

You can do this while you are still in R&D, approach your manager for assistance, call it training opportunities to increase your efficiency and save the company money :)

HasHx

thanks alot man, i really appreciate your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back