Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC interfacing with GSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

anjosoviaj

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
matlab interfacing with gsm modem

hi friends,

i'm planning to do a project on PC with security camera which detects motion and takes images which are sent as attachment to a mail ID.Also simultaneously SMS is sent to the supervisor using a GSM module.

we plan to use visual basic for the programming,matlab for image processing.

i'm planning to interface the GSM module to the PC and hence send signals to GSM using VB

i'd be deeply obliged if any1 could please tell me if my approach is correct or not.

Pls suggest an affordable cheap GSM module for this purpose.

also i need to know how the interfacing of GSM can be done with the PC via RS232?

thanks

gsm module for pc interfacing

Hi..
I think your pjt is a good one....But using MATLAB for image processing and VB for communication ie using two different platforms ,I wont suggest.
In VB itself there are features/functions for image processing.....Try book "Visual Basic Graphics Programming - Rod Stephens".

Moreover MATLAB is basically used for Technology Demonstration/Proving and not for a serious application development. All its inbuilt functions make it slower.
For ur initial purpose u may use MATLAB.

There are many companies making GSM module, one I suggest is BENQ's M22 model.
It has a UART output . So if you want to use it with PC then you need to make a small board with MAX232 IC to convert signal coming from PC to UART and vice-versa.

Also I hope you are familiar with "AT - commands". U need to have the knowledge of these commands to communicate with the GSM modem.

Hope the above info: is useful to u....

anjosoviaj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
gsm-module google books

can u suggest some ebooks/tutorials for VB??

gsm module interfacing with matlab

great1j said:
Hi..
I think your pjt is a good one....But using MATLAB for image processing and VB for communication ie using two different platforms ,I wont suggest.
In VB itself there are features/functions for image processing.....Try book "Visual Basic Graphics Programming - Rod Stephens".

Moreover MATLAB is basically used for Technology Demonstration/Proving and not for a serious application development. All its inbuilt functions make it slower.
For ur initial purpose u may use MATLAB.

There are many companies making GSM module, one I suggest is BENQ's M22 model.
It has a UART output . So if you want to use it with PC then you need to make a small board with MAX232 IC to convert signal coming from PC to UART and vice-versa.

Also I hope you are familiar with "AT - commands". U need to have the knowledge of these commands to communicate with the GSM modem.

Hope the above info: is useful to u....

thanks a lot..that was very useful..i'm familiarising myself with the ATcommands now..i wanted to know if BENQ's M22 module can be ordered online..we need it pretty fast because we've got only 2 months for doing the project..

thanks

wavecom vb6

There are many modem that can do the job.
Most I know of uses the same AT command.
I have used wavecom modem to do sms.
I suppose modem that can accept sim card should works the same way.

Quite simple using AT command to send sms,
and there are many website that teaches
you to send sms with AT command.
**broken link removed**

www.siongboon.com

anjosoviaj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
image processing using gsm

is it possible to order the wavecom modem online??i need it pretty fast also...

thank u..

m22 nterfacing

sounds like a great project

project benq modem m22

siongboon said:
There are many modem that can do the job.
Most I know of uses the same AT command.
I have used wavecom modem to do sms.
I suppose modem that can accept sim card should works the same way.

Quite simple using AT command to send sms,
and there are many website that teaches
you to send sms with AT command.
**broken link removed**

www.siongboon.com
thanks that was really useful..can the wavecom modem be ordered online??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back