Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

patchantenna bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thenramya

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi how to find the bandwidth of patch antenna which is simulated using ADS.

How do you define bandwidth? Frequently antenna bandwidth is defined as the frequency band where the SWR or return loss meets certain criteria (for example VSWR < 2).

return loss is -16db. so what is bandwidth?is there any option in ADS to calculate front to back ratio?

I can't find the f2b ration in ADS, but you may try HFSS ,it does.

If your requirement is RL = <16 dB. Just find the two frequencies (lef and right of the center frequency) where RL crosses the 16 dB line, take the difference and you have the bandwidth of the antenna according to your specification. If you use Smith Chart display, RL < 16 dB is the circle where |reflection coefficient| < 0.158

Regarding F/B ratio in ADS, I don't know whether there is an automatic calculation feature.

Regarding F/B ratio in ADS, I don't know whether there is an automatic calculation feature.

First, you need to change the model so that the patch antenna back plane is simulated with a finite, drawn metal instead of the bottom boundary condition. Adjust the Momentum stackup so that you have two drawn metal layers (for example cond for the patch and cond2 for the back side ground) and set absorbing boundary at top and bottom.

Then, from the simulation results of the antenna pattern you can easily read the "forward" and "backward" antenna gain and calculate the difference.

how to calculate beamwidth of antenna using ADS

- - - Updated - - -

how to calculate beamwidth of antenna using ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back