Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Patch antenna using PLM and an infinite ground plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subby

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'm having an issue simulating a circular microstrip patch antenna over an infinite ground plane using a PLM boundary to keep the simulation space size small. Here's what I am seeing:

I have a box of air that defines my problem space with the bottom of the box co-planar with the bottom of my antenna's substrate material. I select the bottom face of the box and set the boundary condition for that face as a 'Perfect E Boundary' with 'Infinite Ground Plane' checked, forming the 'IGP' boundary.
I then select the remaining 5 faces of the air box and start the 'PLM Setup Wizard...' and define them as PLM using the default values for sizes, which creates the 5 PLM boundaries named 'PLM_radiation_1' thru 'PLM_radiation_5' where 'PLM_radiation_1' is the top of the air box and 'PLM_radiation_2' thru 'PLM_radiation_4' are the four sides of the air box. It also creates multiple 'PLM_Air_Box_x' boxes around my air box boundary, as expected.

When I run the Validation Check tool I get the following WARNINGS:

[warning] PML cover object 'PML_Air_Box_2' has a side face that contacts boundary 'IGP', but the boundary condition is not also on the PML object.
[warning] PML cover object 'PML_Air_Box_3' has a side face that contacts boundary 'IGP', but the boundary condition is not also on the PML object.
[warning] PML cover object 'PML_Air_Box_4' has a side face that contacts boundary 'IGP', but the boundary condition is not also on the PML object.
[warning] PML cover object 'PML_Air_Box_5' has a side face that contacts boundary 'IGP', but the boundary condition is not also on the PML object.

which is correct - the bottom faces of these four PLM_Air_Boxes lie in the plane of my infinite ground plane boundary, IGP

Quesitons:
1) Are these an issue I need to worry about? I ask because I do get a convergence warning when I run the simulation:
[warning] Adaptive Passes did not converge based on specified criteria. (9:54:19 AM Jul 23, 2015)[/B]

2) After I create the PLM, do I then have to go back and manually change the bottom boundaries of these four PLM_Air_Boxes to be Perfect E Boundaries that are also infinite ground planes?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated as I can't figure out why I am getting these warnings and convergence issues.

I've attached the associated files, if needed.

Thanks
John

Attachments

• 449_MHz_Antenna.hfss.zip
    64.5 KB · Views: 84

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back