Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] passive Vs active devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

shivaece

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greeting Sir,
If i am asked in an interview point of view...wat should i answer for the difference between active and passive devices....

The main difference between active and passive components is that active ones require to be powered in some way to make them work. :grin:

Active components are capable of changing their operational performance, may deliver power to the circuit and can perform interesting mathematical functions (can also be used to amplify signals).
Passive components do not increase the power of a signal, they often cause power to be lost. The strict physics definition treats passive components as ones that cannot supply energy themselves.

Passive components are ones which cannot introduce net energy into the circuit they are connected to. They also cannot rely on a source of power except for what is available from the (AC) circuit they are connected to. As a consequence they are unable to amplify (increase the power of a signal), although they may well increase a voltage or current such as is done by a transformer or resonant circuit. Among passive components are familiar two-terminal components such as resistors, capacitors, inductors, and most sorts of diodes.
Active components rely on a source of energy (usually from the DC circuit, which we have chosen to ignore) and are usually able to inject power into a circuit although this is not part of the definition[1]. This includes amplifying components such as transistors, triode vacuum tubes (valves), and tunnel diodes.
More details here:
Electronic component - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HI
ACTIVE DEVICES ARE BASICALLY THOSE DEVICES WHICH CAN CREATE ADDITIONAL POWER AND BOOST THE POWER OF THE INPUT SIGNAL.
ALTHOUGH THIS ADDITIONAL POWER IS SUPPLIED BY THE D.C SOURCE BUT THIS SOURCE IS NOT A SIGNAL(IT'S STATIC wrt TIME AND SIGNALS HAVE VARIATION WITH TIME) AND WE TALK IN TERMS OF SIGNALS.WE CAN SAY THEY ARE BASICALLY POWER AMPLIFIERS FOR SIGNALS. ex include TRANSISTORS, VACUUM TUBE TRIODES AND MICROWAVE AMPLIFICATION DEVICES.
SO POWER O/P > POWER I/P

PASSIVE DEVICES CANNOT BOOST ANY INPUT SIGNAL ie THEY DO NOT PROVIDE ANY POWER AMPLIFICATION TO THE SIGNALS.
SO POWER O/P<= POWER I/P.

ANY OTHER THINGS FELLAS.....PLEASE ENLIGHTEN US WITH SOME MORE KNOWLEDGE.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.