Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Isolation between two devices

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to get an input from a transformer and feed it into an op-amp which then gives it to an ADC.

This is a simple draing . The input on the secondary of the transformer is 10mV pk-pk/

This is the Op-amp used.
1700994726221.png

Can the transformer be connected directly to the inputs of the op-amp?

I have seen that some resistor has to be connected in series with the output of the transofmer?

Can someone tell me which is the correct method and why?

Hi,

• I assume you want to amplify your signal, so you will need at least some input resistors to set your gain and of course a feedback network (external or the internal one).
• What's about opamp supply? Split-rail or single supply?
• Which transformer are you using? Does it provide a center tap to provide an input bias voltage?
• What is your frequency range of interest?
• How does your input signal looks like?
• Output resistance/resistor depends on the following/stage load e.g. a BALUN, 50Ohm matching, ADC input .....

BR

Hi,

If you do a quick research on OPAMP amplifier circuits ... you will immediately see that all circuits use resistors.

What you need to know:
* amplifier power supply
* amplifier input voltage peak-peak (already given)
* amplifier output voltage, min and max
--> output_voltage_range / input_voltage_range = gain
* output offset voltage
* frequency range of interest
* maybe other requirements, like distortion, (erroneous) overvoltage, precision

For beginners I recommend to use a standard circuit "OPAMP differential amplifier circuit" using 2x resistor pairs (4 resistors in total).

When I do an eletronics design, I first decide the application´s requirements. Without looking for a solution.
Btw: by writing this, I don´t meant that you need to do it the same way as I. You are free to go your own way.

So I´m just guessing what your "basic requirements are". Correct me if I´m wrong.

AC input --> unknown analog processing --> ADC --> unknown digital processing --> result.

The most important:
* define the AC input
* define the expected result

You already come with a transformer. I guess the transformer is not a requirement, it is a solution. It could be a good solution or not.
I personally did some measurements involving transformers (many years ago), but since then I avoided them and used a resistive measurement solution..
Reasons for avoiding: used high_impedance measurement instead of true isolaton (no safety risk). I did not like the phase shift and the distortion caused by transformers.
And as a benefit the resistive solution was cheaper and is able to process DC.

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back