Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parallel port Speed EPP - 2MB/sec rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

dspcode

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Parallel port Speed EPP

Hi All,

I have heard quotes that the PC parallel port can operate at
2 MB/sec.. Has anyone been able to read data at this rate ??
What rates have you experienced??

dsp

I dont know the exact speed but using a Parallel port to IDE convertor that I used some time ago with a 4x CD writer had no problems wit speed. Since a 4x CD writer writes at 600KB/sec, given some room for overhead, the data rate must have approached 1MB/sec.

My designed approached 1.5MByte/s

You were able to reach 1.5 MB/s !! This is what I was hoping to hear.
I will need to use interrupt-driven parallel port. I understand that
the EPP mode handles this. do you have drivers or code that you
could share ??? I appreciate the responses.

dspcode

With the parallel port you can get a 2MB/s peak bandwith but not a sustained bandwith.
I had tested a while ago a jtag programmer for the parallel port and I got that results. But, anyway, everything depends on your hardware and drivers.

I appreciate all the good info. My problem is a little more complicated since the peripheral will act as a "master" and transfer an unknown number of bytes in small blocks. So... I want to transfer the bytes to the PC using PC interrupts. I suspect that the transfer rate will be a lot slower if interrupts
are used. Any comments ??

dspcode

if interrup was used ,you will get a intterup every a byte income.you can buffer some income then general a interrup to user space.

Re: Parallel port Speed EPP

Some add on parallel ports can operate up to speeds of 4Mbps. The company I work for can operate our parallel ports up to 4.5Mbps. This is under the test where all the PC does is keep on sending and reading data to the parallel port of course and probably will not work under Linux or Windows since the OS is also busy doing other stuff. I think you need to write your own personal driver to implement this.

My ECP driver uses a DMA channel, i would guess the software overhead to be pretty low and the transfer speed to approach 2MB (although i have no idea how fast it actually transfers)

As known to me,the EEP could work at 2MB/S,but it depends on the rate of the interface,and the ECP could speed up to 2-4MB/s

A bench of parallel port, according to the various access mode

**broken link removed**

Parallel port Speed EPP

in general, the read and write speed of parallel port is rapidder than seiral port, but if you need do it at high speed, you can apply usb interface.

Hello friends ,

Please send me docs related to EPP DMA .With source code and related

Schematic. Please Post Here if any boy have.

EPP parallel port mode dosn't support DMA transfers

EPP parallel port mode dosn't support DMA transfers. Only ECP can work with DMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.