Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Paper or books on analog fiber optic link design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superzf

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am currently working on a project involves transfering analog signals through a fiber optic link using intensity modulation. Anyone has any suggestions on papers or books on the modulator design?

the modulator is common,any CATV textbook contain this kind of modulator,good luck

What is your modulation frequency (range)?
CATV is typically below 1GHz.
Remote antenna feeding can go up to mmwave domain.
The modulators are very different for those applications.

meitq inc. has a model can transmit microwave from frequency 500MHZ to 18G,that is enough!
radio_over_ fiber is transparent to modulation,if y want to transmit mm,then y can downconvert it then transmit,i think y shoud visit the www.uspto.gov to get some information about this topic,there are a number patents about this topic!
good luck!

meitq inc. has a model can transmit microwave from frequency 500MHZ to 18G,that is enough!
enough for you maybe, some of us know to count higher than 18.
For phased array antennas they sometimes need to send the signal on the fiber at the actual mmwave carrier frequency with the correct phase on each line – no downconversion. From radiotelescopes they bring back the signal as is, again no downconversion etc. there are many other cases when mmwave signals are sent on fiber.
So, did you read those papers yourself?

I read some paper about this topic recently and felt the linearity is an importmant aspect of the design of analog optic link. Do you consider the linearity of the analog optic link? I wish to disign some driver that could improve the linearity and some circiuit to compensation the nonlinearity of the link, if you have interest, maybe we could discussed it more later.

Hello txn,

While for the digital fiber links the nonlinearity can actually help, for the analog ones (non)linearity is a very important issue. There is a huge amount of literature dedicated to this subject. Some linearization solutions are based on the driver/receiver (electronic techniques), and others are based on modified modulators (or more generally – optical techniques).
All major photonics manufacturers like lucent, jds, corning surely have application notes etc. on this issue. Some references can also be found here:
**broken link removed**
I used to know of a few other small companies in this field but they seem to have disappeared …
Again, I think it is very important to specify your frequency of interest. There are some very different issues and difficulties when designing sub GHz circuits and modulators as opposed to a few GHz, not to mention up to 40 or 60 GHz.

I wish to design the driver for 2.4G or 5G first,so the waireless signal of 802.11could be transfered on the fiber. Then I also want to make circuit that could work at higher frequency such as 20GHz or 30GHz or could cover wider frequcy.
I have not had any experience in the designing of circuit before. So any opinion is much appreciated! By the way, my e-mail: lucknlbw@163.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back