Status
Not open for further replies.

nilmini12s

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I bought a 600 mil wide 40-pin DIP socket from Sparkfun for my PCB (DIP Sockets Solder Tail - 40-Pin 0.6" - SparkFun Electronics), but I don't know which part in PADS libraries to choose for this. Or if I have to just create a new part. I am using PADS version 9.1.

Also, how do I find a datasheet for the part I bought? Sparkfun doesn't give any manufacturing information.

And, what does "solder tail" mean?

Thanks in advance.

I apologize for the noobie question. This is my first time designing a PCB.

With v9.1 you should have access to PADs libraries\common; they have a decal and part type using the same name "DIP40-600". I seldom use the canned library parts and you will need to verify the lead/row pitch (0.1"/0.6" I assume correct) and the hole/pad size. The hole size is probably 0.035" and maybe too small for your socket, I recommend minimum 0.04" finished hole size. Also, these canned libraries do not code padstacks info for soldermask etc. - your call to add or allow cam directory to apply automatically. They do code a layer 25 which we used to use for negative planes, which we don't anymore. Without knowing the mfg. for your socket, I could not quickly find a datasheet. Solder tail is the PCB stick thru portion of the lead and is tinned for solder-ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…