Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PA Gate bias affecting PLL lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawaslsh

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

Capture.PNG

I have a frequency synthesizing PLL that was designed in Analog devices' ADIsimPLL software. A picture of the block diagram is above. The PLL is within the dashed block. It consists of a VCO, HMC582 , and the phase detector/charge pump, ADF4153A. The PLL alone works as expected. However, when I attach a power amplifier, HMC7357, to the output of the VCO the PLL is only conditionally stable. The amplifier is a GaAs FET; at Pinch-OFF (~-1.4V) the PLL works as expected. Once I tune the gate bias < -0.93V the PLL becomes unstable.
One clue I have, the lock voltage is ~4V to achieve the frequency I need. The max voltage for the charge pump is 5V. It can't not be coincidence that once i tune the gate voltage down 1V i start to see issues. I can go into much more detail if needed, but does anyone have an explanation as to why this is happening? The block diagram of the VCO shows a buffer amp on the output I am using, so I am currently stumped.

I can provide more detail if needed,
Thanks in advance,
Sami

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.2 KB · Views: 113

This can be due to Pulling Effect of the Amplifier.So the Amplifier loads the VCO "much" then applied signal level to AD4153A may decrease, consequently PLL looses lock-in state.VCOs are generally buffered by special Buffer Amplifiers that have Higher Input Impedance and Lower Output Impedance and their Isolation are better than 50dB ( depends on the frequency).

Hi,

Or your power supply is not stable,
Or your GND reference is not rock solid

Check for
* proper GND plane,
* proper low impedance GND wiring,
* stable power supply and
* proper decoupling capacitors installation (low impedance)

In doubt post a photo of placement and complete wiring.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.