Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Overtone ultra-low phase noise crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbsirio

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ultra low phase noise crystal oscillator -vco

Hi all,
I was searching for a ultra low phase noise overtone crystal oscillator at 150 MHz with -150 dBc @ 10KHz or hints to achive this goal.

I have made several tests on various circuits I have found on Internet and on various books, but no one reaches my goal of -150dBc @ 10 KHz...
I have used several attentions, like limiting the rf across the coil of inductor, take the output with a buffer from the base of the transistor, or using a jfet (u310)...

I have used a battery to power the circuit, to avoid effects of poor regulation, but with no success.

The only circuit I have found wich promise this goal is a circuit used by Rohde-Schwartz found on a post by an edaboard member (sorry, I don't remember the name) on page 18 (of the file I will attach) It looks "theoric", but it could be a good starting point...

Can anyone help me, please?

Sirio.

One common trick is to follow the oscillator by a crystal filter. Use a crystal just like the one in the oscillator. Many older receiver books from around 1930 or 1940 will have circuits of a one crystal filter used for morse code reception. Basically, it is a center tapped transformer with the crystal in one end and a nulling capacitor in the other end both connected to a common output point.

Hi Flatulent!

Can you check the schematics arttached here, please? Is what you suggest to do?

I am not very familiar with this filters!

Thank you very much!

Sirio.

You have the general idea. The capacitor should be a variable to null out the crystal holder capacitance. Then you may need more elements to pull the crystal frequency a bit to get the peak on your signal.

Try measuring the circuit on a network analyzer to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back