Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Overtone crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

vco96

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
overtone crystal oscillator

Hello,

Can any crystal oscillator be tuned to its harmonic frequency. Or is it just for special crystals?

overtone crystal

I think it is a special crystal that provides a relative high harmonic at the desired frequency. When I ordered crystals, I specified it was fundamental or 3rd tone.

site:edaboard.com crystal oscillator

I think every crystal can oscillate on the third harmonic. But loop gain on this frequency should be higer than unity. And you should suppress fundamental harmonic by filter so that the loop gain on the fundamental frequency should be less than unity.

There is a difference between the crystal being used on an overtone and the oscillator circuit output being tuned to a harmonic.

The crystal manufacturer controls the two angles of the cut to optimize the parameters at the fundamental and the overtones. They all cannot be optimized at once. Therefore it is best to use the crystal in the mode that it is optimized for.

In overtone operation the signal can be a pure sine wave. In harmonic it has to be nonlinear to have harmonics.

One further thing is that the overtones are not the same frequencies as the harmonics because of what can be thought of as the end effects. The mechanical acoustic wave going through the crystal is controlled by the velocity of propagation. The part of the crystal material that is next to the outside has a slightly different velocity.

Also, the numbering system is different. Overtone numbers are one count lower than the harmonic number. 2x in frequency is the second harmonic and the first overtone. We owe the overtone terminology to the music world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back