Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Overriding record type generic in VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

PercyCuted

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Help !

I am working on a project in which MANY models have been written with VHDL record type generics (which probably seemed like a good idea at the time), but trying to change those generics for a different set of conditions is proving to be rather troublesome :(
eg.
Code:
package model_pg is
    type spec_type is record
        min : real;
        typ : real;
        max : real;
    end record;
end package model_pkg;
package model_param_pkg is
    constant VDD_C  : spec_type := (2.80, 3.70, 4.50);
end package;
entity block_a is
    generic (VDD_G : spec_type := VDD_C);

entity top is
architecture rtl of top is
begin
    block_a_i : top_lib.block_a

It appears that record types can not be overridden on the vsim/vopt command line with the usual -Ggeneric_name=value format, neither can an in individual field of the record be thus accessed (Modelsim)

Changing it with a configuration statement also seems to be problematic, because all components using these generics are instantiated with the format :
inst_name : entity lib_name.entity_name(arch_name), and it seems that that a configuration statement can not reference these instances, because they do not have a component name (the instantiation is in effect a hard-wired configuration)

I considered using a package configured with generics (from VHDL-2008), but this also does not seem to help, as I can't see a way of overriding the generics in a package either.

I want to be able to change the generics for some simulations, but not others, and while I could duplicate the package, and then compile/simulate twice, I really don't want to do that (does not fit in well with our regression flow)

Running out of ideas, so all contributions gratefully received !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back