Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Overclocking PIC16F877A - why not ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tgq said:
rfmw said:
I forgot to mention before that I've seen people running their PIC16F84-04 at 24 MHz 8O , no kidding.
I think it was 16F84A-04
16F84A-04 and 16F84A-20 seem to be exactly the same chips, the print on package = the only difference :lol:

no no, it was 16F84-04 running at 24 MHz (not newer A version)

does anybody here use Ubicom's new IP2xxx or IP3xxx micros? Those babies can really push it... 160 MIPS (at 160 MHz) ... this is something what I always wanted. Didn't you too? :)

Hello,
The PIC is not damage if you over clocking it?

I forgot to mention before that I've seen people running their PIC16F84-04 at 24 MHz, no kidding.

I tried to run a PIC16F84A-04 at 14.31818 MHz but it wouldn't run. The highest crystal I had that it would run was at 6.630059MHz. The PIC was supplied with 5v, I want to overclock my PIC!

Sputnik :idea:

that's not surprising, because in a datasheet,

a chip's maximal operating frequency is for worst case condition(PVT ),

but for a cmos IC, the speed of best case condition is almost twice of

the speed of worst case condition.

so, you can over clocking your IC by 50 and have

no obvious problem.

best regards

rfmw said:
With a DDS 1-40MHz generator with TTL/CMOS outputs I tried to overclock a PIC16F877A (with no frequency marking - so it a 20 MHz version).

To be sure that the PIC is still fully functional at higher frequencies, I wrote the program so that it was computing a multiplication with 32-bit floating numbers and displaying the result at 2x16 LCD (LM016 clone).

Guess what, at 35 MHz PIC worked beautifully, while at 36-37 MHz it started to show incorrect results/glitches, finally at 38 MHz it freezed.

From 20MHz -> 35 MHz is 75% increase in computational speed giving 8.75 MIPS. Not bad at all :D

Hi. I work with PIC18F452/8 with quartz 11.0592MHz(x4) and work fine, UART works on 921600 bps link to PC. Also PIC18F6720/8720 wotk on 4x10MHz(its only 25MHz). If your test program access lcd you can with time delay in higher frequencies.

Best Regards.

manufacture might mean that the frequency they specified it is a good operation on the condition they gave

asit said:
has anybody overclocked AVR?
Overclocked At90s8515-8 up to 12Mhz and working stable at room temperature
AtMega128 also seen it working at 18Mhz, and very stable too.

Hello Guys

All of you here have forgot some important issue, I think its possible to increase the operating frequency of a PIC MCU, but what about the power dissipation of the chip, have any one noticed the temperature rise of an overclocked PIC, say 24MHa, instead of 4MHz.

Regards

I have try to overclock PIC 16F627 to 50Mhz.
My code did not use EEPROM.
It get read Manchaster encoded data and send to UART.

Please report operating voltsge and current consumption.

add a heatsink ... get a few more mips lol

or just buy as senix and use a 75 - 100 etc mhz core.. then clock this
reports it works till 150mhz for 75mhz types in other forums

my view is it will shorten the life span
and destort the die if it gets too hot
also the case used in pics isnt that good a conductor of heat so possible it will fry then get hot after a few hrs of operation

hi
you seem quite sure about it , but from my experience something that works on 30m doesnot work well at more than that because of interference , emc and fabrication method , but ihavent tried that , if it succeds pleease tell me

bet regards

Using PIC16F877A at 40MHz with no problems and with ICD2 on USB
Clock supplied by Xtal module
Can run at 50MHz but cannot use ICD2 - some code is time/position sensitive but fine with care.
Application uses Ints and ADC and LCD and Comms.

Polymath - accept no limits - only consequences !!!!!©

Human can work 8 hours/day. That doesn't mean he/she can't work more than eight hours. There are so many people working hard 10-18 hours/day. Of course that will decrease the life time compared to the one working normally. Over clocking of a microcontroller is not different.

I used to run an old 16C84-04 at around 15MHz. I don't know the exact frequency, as I was using an RC oscillator. With an external crystal oscillator, out of spec. Vcc and maybe some cooling, things could have gotten impressive. I need to try that some day.

Anders M.

Status
Not open for further replies.