Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Oven-controlled-voltage-controlled Crystal Oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ali ghafoor

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the basic difference between VCO, VCXO, OCXO, OCVCXO...why cannot I use VCO directly as a reference clock source in any system. why does a PLL is required always ?? actually i want to use a OCVCXO as a reference clock in my system..i require 100MHz reference clock..and i found a Bliley "Zeus" series OCVCXO on internet that ranges from 30MHz to 130MHz...can i use it directly ?? Or a PLL is required to lock it to 100MHz first and then feed into my system?? i know that a VCO cannot be used directly(withoout PLL) as a reference clock. what about OCVCXO??can we use OCVCXO directly(without PLL) as reference clock?? this is actually what i want to ask

First please tell us what you need. Your questions indicate you do not know.

Quartz crystal oscillators are made in the varieties you named. For a better stability over temperature they are ovenized and heated at 50 - 60 deg.C by a thermostat so they do not vary the frequency due to ambient temperature.
If a fine tuning is needed a capacitor trimmer or a control voltage are used for several ppm tuning.

VCO is a variable-frequency oscillator you can tune by a control voltage. VCOs do not require temperature control and are less stable than crystal oscillators

Reference oscillators are used to synchronize a high-frequency or microwave VCO by locking on harmonics. A 100 MHz crystal OCXO runs typically at 100 MHz and its 50th harmonic can be used to lock a 5 GHz VCO making a PLO system.

Any crystal oscillator is used as a reference due to its frequency stability and a low phase noise. You can use it as a "clock" directly or with a multiplier as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back