Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] output of lm358 is less than 3v!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasanthceg

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i made an ir sensor for line tracing using lm358 as a comparator.. i am getting the lm358 output as 2.5v.. so naturally when i connect it to the microcontroller, mc does not respond to the sensor.. can anyone suggest a solution for increasing the output voltage of lm358.. i dont wish to change the comparator further..

Hi, LM358 is not a rail to rail opamp... I recommend you to use a rail to rail opamp to get full voltage. Any manufacturer designed rail-to-rail opamps you only have to search and you'll find... I hope this would help you.

LM358 is not a rail to rail opamp
No, but it can drive logic level in most cases, though. Depending on the logic standard, a pull-up resistor may be required.
P.S.:
my supply voltage is 5v
Refer to the LM358 data sheet. You can expect about 3.8 V for the unloaded output. 2.5 V means the device is either defective or you're drawing more than 20 mA from the output, which wouldn't be a good idea. Check your circuit!

You can expect about 3.8 V for the unloaded output. 2.5 V means the device is either defective or you're drawing more than 20 mA from the output, which wouldn't be a good idea. Check your circuit!

can u pls help me out for decreasing the current from the output??

Attachments

• ir_sensor_using_lm358.png
    ir_sensor_using_lm358.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 162

It seems absolutely correct. Did you try to drive the microprocessor pin from a resistor, if it's actually configured as input?

If the regular unloaded LM358 output high voltage of about 3.8 V isn't sufficient to drive the input, you can connect a pull-up resistor of 5 - 10k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back