Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Output of crystal oscillator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vetriselvan

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,
What is the output of the crystal oscillator.Is it sine or square wave.Then what is difference between CXO,VCXO,OCXo,TCXO.

Regards
Vetriselvan

Re: Output of crytal oscillator.

It can be sine, square or "clipped sine" output. VCXO is voltage controlled - you can pull the frequency a little either side of nominal. TCXO us temperature compensated - pretty accurate with temperature. OCXO is an oven crystal oscillator. The crystal or whole circuit is in a temperature controlled oven. Very stable once up to temperature (which can take a while).

Keith.

Dear Keith,
Thanks for ur post.
I need 10Mhz square wave from the crystal oscillator with 5V.
My doubt is shall i use the normal CXO or VCXO(voltage controlled oscillator).

Regards
Vetri

Use a normal one - CXO. You would only ever use a VCXO in special applications, for example phase locking two clocks from different sources.

Keith.

Thank you keith...
But i have tested one normal CXO.But it produced the sine wave.So only i have doubt in these..pls clarify...

Regards
Vetri.

Have you a make & part number? It is likely that the one you bought produces a sine wave - you need to be careful to buy one with a square wave output. It would usually say TTL or CMOS output.

What bandwidth oscilloscope did you test it with? A low bandwidth oscilloscope will make a square wave look like a sine.

Keith bandwidth oscilloscope will make a square wave look like a sine.

Keith

Der keith,
I forgot the part no & Make..I will reply you soon once i got it.I have checked with Textronics 200Mhz scope.

Regards
Vetri.

Dear keith,
Hereby i have attached one datasheet.Please check and let me know whether the attached datasheet part no will provide the 10Mhz square wave with 5V.
DIGIKEY PART NO:CTX753-ND

Regards
Vetri

Attachments

• 10Mhz crystal.pdf
    158.6 KB · Views: 63

That's a clock oscillator HCMOS/TTL compatible = square wave output. :smile:

Dear all,
Finally shall i use the part no in the datasheet.Plz suggest.

If you are not seeing the output as a square wave then there is something wrong with either your oscillator or test setup. Have you a bandwidth limiter on the oscilloscope?

Keith.

Dear keith,
I forgot the part no of the oscillator which i have tested.So i searched the new oscillator from DIGIKEY and the part no is CTX753-ND.the data sheet also attached above.So please let me know whether the above part no will give the square wave.

Hi all,
Thanks a lot for your support to me.

Regards
Vetri.

Status
Not open for further replies.