Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscilloscope bandwidth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmos babe

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need a cheap oscilloscope to monitor audio signals ,digital clock,i/o pins ,Infrared stuff..etc ..what's the minimum bandwidth i should look for?

The only thing that is not clear from your esplanation is the frequency of the digital clocks. These can be very fast.

Other than that, even a 1MHz BW scope should do it. But if you can, try to get at least a 10MHz one. Eventually, you will need more bandwidth.

cmos babe

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
en, a good oscilloscope in the past years can take 50,100,150MHz, just give a rough idea. The new machine should go beyond this.

you can use a oscilloscope with 20mhz bandwidth.

that's enough.

best regards

cmos babe said:
I need a cheap oscilloscope to monitor audio signals ,digital clock,i/o pins ,Infrared stuff..etc ..what's the minimum bandwidth i should look for?

VVV said:
The only thing that is not clear from your esplanation is the frequency of the digital clocks. These can be very fast.

Other than that, even a 1MHz BW scope should do it. But if you can, try to get at least a 10MHz one. Eventually, you will need more bandwidth.

digital clocks can be very fast (faster than 100 MHZ) does it mean that a 100 MHZ isn't good enough to display them?

Yes, that's right. A 100MHz scope will show only a (distorted) 100MHz sinewave, when measuring a digital clock signal of 100MHz. If you need to observe the distortion or shape of the 100 MHz digital clock signal, you need at least a 1GHz scope.

And there's more. Measuring high frequency digital signals requires special probes, that is passive low-impedance probes, or active high-impedance FET probes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back