Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscillator Solderability

Status
Not open for further replies.

dksoba

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to use this oscillator in one my designs (Oscillator is for a CS5528 24-bit ADC chip):

http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/ABR...GAEpiMZZMsBj6bBr9Q9aR65WLMknh%2bB/n6PX77d4b4=

However, I'm not sure if I can solder that package by hand. It seems to be similar to this:

**broken link removed**

Which I could solder by hand (I think) because the pads are on the side, in addition to below. It'd be like soldering an 0805 resistor/cap/etc.

Also, according to the datasheet, Vdd is 3.3V. Does this mean I need a seperate 3.3V regulator for the oscillator? Can I connect the oscillator's output to chip that has a 5V supply?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi,

Why don't you just use a simple 32k Crystal as the datasheet for that chip shows ?

That avoids and voltage and soldering problems.

You can buy them in a variety of hand solderable packages including smd.

Hi Matt,
Dont worry!
Both oscillators has the same/similar side-wall contacting, up to ca 1mm is a gold "pin" on the sides to find -and solderable too, but you need a very fine solder tip!
Good luck!
@Wp100,
XTALs can you become nowaday in same packaging/with same soldering problematics...
K.

If you want to hand solder and you are making your own PCB layout it can be useful to make the pads slightly larger so you can solder from the side.

Keith.

Hi Keith,
You are fully correct!
I makes i.e. my footprints over long time so, that the pads are pro side minimum a half mm overhangig, longer_I have had never problems by (hand)soldering.
In all cases so small SMD will be soldered with modern and feinst soldering tips.
But we know it. :)
Best greetings!
K.

wp100 said:
Hi,

Why don't you just use a simple 32k Crystal as the datasheet for that chip shows ?

That avoids and voltage and soldering problems.

You can buy them in a variety of hand solderable packages including smd.

I have done this already, but I have a problem with the oscillator starting. It's a 4-layer board in a low noise environment. I've tried several oscillators, and they just don't start! I don't know what to do!

However, if I give a 50% duty cycle PWM signal to the XIN pin, the chip works fine...

Matt

Hi,
You can find from RCA/Motorola & Phipse very good (but old :)..) ApplNotes over XTAL Oscis with CMOS gates... Search for that pls.
Some time is a parallel resitor between in/out pins needed (normally its onchip), than others has a solution with a paar KOhm (<=10KOhm) between XTAL and oscPin2,
assumed of course, that your capacitancese are matched to your Quartz! Do varying that at 20+/- 5pF i.e.
Good luck!
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back