Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

oscillations in LNA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eval board is for single MAAL-007304. We still don't know the complete setup.
Hello,

Please find attachement.

Attachments

• setup.pdf
    328.8 KB · Views: 120

Doing a linear simulation using the provided S-parameters from MACOM, can see from the attached picture, that the S-parameters use the matching components tuned on 1.8GHz.
The component values are given at the beginning of the text file:

Most probably the modules that you are using are also tuned on 1.8GHz, and each of them having 28dB of gain is no wonder that you get an oscillation on that frequency, when you cascade them.

You have to find the S-parameters of the chip itself, without any matching network, and after that, do your own impedance matching and stability optimization for the desired frequency.

To see how to apply correctly K-factor in a multistage amplifier read this:

Attachments

• MAAL-7304.jpg
    MAAL-7304.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 78

Yes it is hand sensitive, it changes when I touch the DC lines. please check oscillations results.

This shows that DC lines are carrying RF signals, and that oscillation depends on that effect.

I asked twice for a photo of the setup, but you just show a sketch of the RF patch, ignoring all the real setup with DC lines. Makes no sense to me, if the trouble is related to RF on the supply lines. But anyway, it's your project, so good luck!

as someone already stated, you can not have 50 db of series gain on the same PC board without a fancy machined cover keeping leakage way down.

try putting them in two separate metal boxes.

I have tried by putting both in a metal box , but the problem remains the same. I have found that the input return loss is poor at our frquency of interest in both evaluation boards. so, I think , there is a problem. please verify and guide.

You mentioned that the oscillation occurs when the RF input is off. Does that mean you're disconnecting the input port, leaving it unterminated?

I am terminated the input port. and when I turn of DC for both MACOM LNA , the oscillations occurs( RF out port is connected to spectrum and RF input port is terminated).

Using dev boards from the manufacturer reduces a lot potential issues, but it's still possible that the wiring for DC power is part of the problem. Putting some ferrite beads of the proper material might help a lot.

Simply putting the circuit inside a metal box likely won't help. It will just act to funnel more energy from the output towards the input. Lining the metal box with absorbing materials could help. Or putting each LNA stage in a separate box.

The easier thing to do is probably to put a small attenuator (try 3dB) between the two stages. Or use a more stable, internally matched amplifier as the second stage. I doubt having LNAs for both stages significantly helps your NF.

Status
Not open for further replies.