Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

optoelectronics slotted switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

watertreader

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

just gotten a triggering cable for my camera. On one end is the 6 pin connector for my camera control port while on the other end in which I am to connect to the triggering source is in a format of optoelecrtonic slotted switch or Optek OPB841W55.

I would need to connect the triggering input(electrical signal) to this switch.... How should I do it? I have search around and found that a rotatary/linear encoder can do the trick but I find the use to be rather queer.... Just wonder whether this is the standard practice? or is there any better methods... this is my first time encountering this switch

I'm not sure what a linear or rotary encoder has to do with triggering an opto switch but it's not that difficult at all. It's an opto-interuptor switch. One side is an IR LED and the other side is an IR photo receptor diode. The only thing you need to do is to carefully desolder the switch and connect your signal generator to the side that has the photo receptor diode on it. Make sure the voltage levels are compatible, but with a Digital Camera the voltages are likley 3.3 volts, but be VERY careful here, if you apply the wrong voltage it's possible to damage your camera.

Sceadwian said:
I'm not sure what a linear or rotary encoder has to do with triggering an opto switch but it's not that difficult at all. It's an opto-interuptor switch. One side is an IR LED and the other side is an IR photo receptor diode. The only thing you need to do is to carefully desolder the switch and connect your signal generator to the side that has the photo receptor diode on it. Make sure the voltage levels are compatible, but with a Digital Camera the voltages are likley 3.3 volts, but be VERY careful here, if you apply the wrong voltage it's possible to damage your camera.

Ergh.... I have thought about cutting off the switch but my boss dun really like that idea... The only example I can find around with the usage of the interruptor switch is with the combination use of the encoder/rotary shaft/linear plate....

Anyway thanks....I would try to persuade my boss

Status
Not open for further replies.