Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Optocoupler to drive Peltier element (5V, 1A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama16

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

small question: I see alot of schematics using an optocoupler (eg 4n33 or 4n35) to switch a peltier at 5V and 1A.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cup-Cooler/
**broken link removed**

But when looking at the details of the octocoupler they are only suited for a CE current of 100mA, so why are they allowing over 1A to go through it? Am I missing something or are they wrong?

Kind regards,
Dries

Haha, that's why I thought I'd ask. So I'm correct?
What's the best way to do this? I've looked at SSrelays but can't seem to find a decent one.

This is what the project is about: I'm making some sort of peltier coaster that will sense the temp of the beverage when it's put on (it only activates when a beverage triggers a pressure button) and then either heats up the top side of the peltier or cools it down. For that I have to be able to use a PIC to reverse the polarity, so relays came in mind, but optocouplers seemed cheaper. Yet I can't find one that allows high current to go through, even though many schematics show me that they use optocouplers nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back