Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

optocoupler output not inverted

Status
Not open for further replies.

yassin.kraouch

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am usinf this optocoupler from fairchild https://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FO/FOD060L.pdf
FOD060L
when i connect the output to the collector ( Vo), with a pull down it is clear that the output is inverted ( when iput is 0 out is 1 ...), so if i need to connect the output to emitter of the output transistor, i need to use a pull down resistor, i don't know how is the value of the pull down, beacause in the datsheet they give us the value of pull up but not pull down,
any aidea ?

I think you can use a transistor for revert out put pulse.
However i think there is not problem to connect pull down resistor to pin 5 instead of ground.

Yes i know but it more simple then a transistor, juste output from the emitter not collector

simply apply the supply to collector (pin 6) and add a resistor the emitter (pin 5) you will get the result you want.
Hope this will help

Yes i know that but the preoblem is the resistance value

In my opinion, the datasheet is very clear. The transistor has an open collector configuration with emitter tied to supply ground. I really wonder, how anyone can think about a pull-down resistor repectively connecting a resistor to the GND pin? Just read the datasheet thoroughly, and you'll hopefully understand, why the only reasonable operation mode is with a pull-up resistor, as all example circuits are suggesting.

the problem is that i didn't find any information about that, they give the reference design when you want to output Vout from the emitter,

my problem is that i want that the output is 0 when the input is 0

they give the reference design when you want to output Vout from the emitter
You wanted to say, they didn't give a reference design, I guess. In fact, it's impossible without additional active parts.
my problem is that i want that the output is 0 when the input is 0
You'll need to add an inverter, either a NPN transistor or a logic gate. I assume, that it's not an option for you to drive the LED active low, which would of course also achieve non-inverted operation of the coupler.

ah ok i thought that i can obtain directly an inverted signal if i connect the collector to Vcc and the emitter to the ground throught a pull down resistor, i think it is the easiest way but my problem is the resistior value, what do you think about this ?

The pin is named ground rather than Vee for a reason. As I already mentioned, it's a power supply pin. Whatever you do, you have to assure the supply voltage Vcc-Gnd to keep the specified range of 2.7 to 3.3 V. Furthermore, a quiscent current of about 7 mA will be sourced by the Gnd pin. So I can't imagine how you want to utilize the Gnd pin as a logic output.

Again, all these basic conclusions can be derived from the datasheet information.

ok it is clear, and have you an example of an inverter, how can i use transistor ? a shematic can help

A transistor inverter would connect the base to Vo and emitter to GND, collector node is output. Pull-up resistors have to be used for Vo and the collector. But it won't hardly achieve the speed of FOD060L, which has a schottky-clamped output stage according to the schematic symbol. You can of course use a fast transistor and connect a schottky diode between B and C. But I think, a 3.3V CMOS inverter will be the better variant.

Dear FVM,
As you know usually opto coupler chip only contain 2 part(opto sender & receiver) and component haven't other discrete Vcc and GND. thus we can drive both photo transistor and led by different biasing . am i true or no?
Regard

Last edited:

As you know usually opto coupler chip only contain 2 part(opto sender & receiver) and component haven't other discrete Vcc and GND.
usual opto couplers yes, presently discussed FOD060L no. Consult the data sheet.

Rather than do all the jugglery on the output transistor stages ,,why not think of changeover of the input LED logic??
put a 547 collector drive for the LED logic and your problem is simplified .

why not think of changeover of the input LED logic
I already mentioned the option in post #8, but was under the assumption, that it's not suitable here. It may be the case, if you want a specific output state, when the driver side loses power.

Yes since in the mentioned optocoupler the emitter is not connected to ground internally.

Alex

Reactions: 3Deye

3Deye

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back