Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Opto isolator/triac resistor wattage

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennyp

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

This is probably a result of overthinking, but I really want to understand this circuit.

I'm unable to post links, but the circuit is the common circuit shown in the datasheets for the MOC series, and on the SimpleIO website "TriacOut Series Gate Resistor Application Note"

(although I will be replacing the MOC isolator with a non-zero crossing one like MOC3022 or so, but the circuit on that page is almost the same as shown in the datasheet for the MOC3022)

They show calculations saying 1/4 watt would be ok. But:

When the AC current hits a zero crossing, some circuit (in my case, a microcontroller) lights LED lamp inside the isolator. The gate on the triac inside the isolator is triggered (ignoring the small phase delay to get above gate current), and current is allowed to flow through the isolator. Current is then pulled through the resistor, through the isolator and on to the external triac's gate. But what happens when the LED gets turned off?
Won't the triac inside the isolator keep conducting until the next zero crossing, being a triac and all? Therefore, the entire brunt of 120V rms would be sent through the resistor, and the power required would be (120V)^2/180ohm = 80 watts, which is certainly unrealistic.

This seems obviously wrong, but I'm not sure where. Does the gate on external triac stop drawing current after it has been successfully triggered?

Thanks
Ben P.

Go ahead and post the links. It will be your second post now. It's an anti-spam feature of the site.

You make it sound like the external triac has it's gate shorted to the load terminal. It's gate after triggering is carrying a small holding current which means it's effective series resistance is high not low.

Reactions: bennyp

bennyp

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ok I think that's what I'm looking for. I've been reading up more on SCR's and it's beginning to make sense.

Thanks for your help

Ben P.

Status
Not open for further replies.