Optical drive from DVD/HDD Recorder LG RH-387 makes strange sounds (MSDH-W020A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomeeh

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody,

I noticed, my father's DVD/HDD Combo LG RH-387 makes some strange sounds after instertion of a CD/DVD. Moreover, no CD/DVD can be read or written. I opened the device, opened the DVD writer and I could notice, strange sounds originate from the optical assembly of the writer.
I recorded the behaviour of the optical assembly; please have a look at the following link:

Video LG RH-387

It seems one could buy new optical base assembly (AAN72922138) MSDH-W020A, however I am wondering if it is worth its price, since it is just a laser with some electronics and mechanics, and the price is more than 40€ for this optical base assembly. On the other hand, a complete, new, LG DVD writer is sold for 20€. And if I buy this assembly for 40€ it can again happen it dies after 2 years... On the other hand: is there an option to buy a complete dvd writer for the RH-387? Maybe it is cheaper than optical base assembly?

My investigation:
as you see on the movie, the laser seems to focus outside the outer diameter of the CD, so I do not wonder it does not read CD... I tried to move the laser with the carriage using screwdriver to be in the CD-area, but the carriage still reaches the outer final position making those clicks...

So the question for those who know what is going on:
is it possible to repair this base assembly shown on the video? Is this a mechanical problem, or is it the laser, or the electronics of the laser? Are there any hints how to repair it? I do not believe all of this is garbage. I believe it is just a small thing that has to be re-adjusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…