Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Philips/Fluke PM 2525 multimeter - help with strange noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenCedar

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a Philips/Fluke PM 2525 multimeter which is making an odd noise. I have identified it happening twice:

- Once when it powers on

- Every time you switch from AC to DC measurement (perhaps more I have not discovered)

The noise is mechanical, best described as the sound a fish tank pump may make for up to about a second before it stops and operation seems normal.

Has anyone seen a similar issue and can point me to the root cause?

I have attached a photo of the model in question. Many thanks!

PM2525.jpg

--- Updated ---

I have an update for the community:

I decided to open it.

It has a rotary wheel inside, similar to a handheld, but with a motor. This is what was responsible for the noise.

Has anyone lubricated anything similar? I have watch oil I was considering after trying to give it a wash with 99% alcohol.

Last edited:

And a final update in the event anyone searches for this Fluke or Philips series:

The gears inside are just hard plastic and rough, and fitted about as well as the gears in a kid's toy. It must work, but wow, the engineers didn't think of this? If I had the 3d printing skills it would be cool to fashion a mod, but I don't.

If you are worried about this noise, it's a way it's built. I put a bit of watch oil on the gear but it did little to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back