Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Optical drive from DVD/HDD Recorder LG RH-387 makes strange sounds (MSDH-W020A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomeeh

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody,

I noticed, my father's DVD/HDD Combo LG RH-387 makes some strange sounds after instertion of a CD/DVD. Moreover, no CD/DVD can be read or written. I opened the device, opened the DVD writer and I could notice, strange sounds originate from the optical assembly of the writer.
I recorded the behaviour of the optical assembly; please have a look at the following link:

Video LG RH-387

It seems one could buy new optical base assembly (AAN72922138) MSDH-W020A, however I am wondering if it is worth its price, since it is just a laser with some electronics and mechanics, and the price is more than 40€ for this optical base assembly. On the other hand, a complete, new, LG DVD writer is sold for 20€. And if I buy this assembly for 40€ it can again happen it dies after 2 years... On the other hand: is there an option to buy a complete dvd writer for the RH-387? Maybe it is cheaper than optical base assembly?

My investigation:
as you see on the movie, the laser seems to focus outside the outer diameter of the CD, so I do not wonder it does not read CD... I tried to move the laser with the carriage using screwdriver to be in the CD-area, but the carriage still reaches the outer final position making those clicks...

So the question for those who know what is going on:
is it possible to repair this base assembly shown on the video? Is this a mechanical problem, or is it the laser, or the electronics of the laser? Are there any hints how to repair it? I do not believe all of this is garbage. I believe it is just a small thing that has to be re-adjusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back