Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OpAmps: Strange Frequency Response. Photoreceiver Circuit. AC-DC channel division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frilance

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
[For everyone: I want to say sorry in advance for my mistakes writting in english]

Hello Fellas,

I designed a TIA photoreceiver circuit in order to obtain an output voltage from a input current coming from a photodiode.

The schematic of the design and the simulation of the expected frequency response is showed in the attached file "schematicSimulation.PNG" ( schematicSimulation.PNG ). The only difference from the schematic and the actual circuit I'm testing is the photodiode (respresented in the schematic as a Input Current Source and a parallel 11pF capacitor).

I just want to have an ouput voltage from the first TIA stage up to 50 MHz (Rf = 5KOhms and Cf = 0.7pF can make it) and then divide the signal into 2 paths (with the same cut-off frequency, 10 KHz). I used an active filter for the AC path, using 2 capacitors in the second OpAmp of around 150nF. For the DC path, i used a simple Low Pass filter.

For the Transfer Function - Frequency Response of the circuit, I used an input Laser-Diode Beam focused on the photodiode, and modulated with the Network Analyzer signal (from 5 Hz to 500 MHz.).

The result obtained in the DC output is showed in picture "dcTransferFunction" (dcTransferFunction.jpg), and it´s quite the expected one (Sorry for the quality of the pictures, I didn´t have any DAQ card for that Network Analyzer). The cut-off frequency is about 10 KHz.

The problem comes with the AC response. "acTransferFunction". acTransferFunction.jpg

The high cut-off frequency is about 50 MHz, so that looks OK, but for the low cut-off frequency, first it has this ripple I didn´t expect (this is the worst problem), and then it looks like the response rises again after a short interval going down. I identified some possible sources of errors, but I would appreciate some help to understand what is going on here.

- First, the Laser Diode´s behaviour at low frequencies. It´s quite bad, so I don´t know if the strange behaviour of the ripple is related with that. I think that at least the rising in the response below 10 KHz is related with the Laser Diode.

- I used a piramide-shape series connection of two 1 pF capacitors to make the "Cf = 0.7 pF". The method wasn´t the best, but seeing that the high cut-off frequency is around the expected one (50 MHz) I would say it´s non-related with this capacitor.

- Maybe the use of the same cut-off frequency for both paths (10 Khz) makes the circuit have a resonance or oscilation. Phase margin problems and so on... I don´t know.

- The DC passive low-pass filter affecting the AC part....

Those are some ideas, but maybe somebody can understand better how this works and could help me with it. Maybe it´s just a Laser Diode problem and it´s working as expected....

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,
frilance

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.