Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opamp with out an external bias current source!

Status
Not open for further replies.

findsriharsha

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing an opamp for super low power application. I am not getting a fixed bias current (generated using bandgap) to bias up the amplifier. I am trying to use pmos mosfet stack in triode region (acts as resistor) to generate bias current internally. The problem with this current is it varies ~100% across PVT and so does my gain! Does anyone, who has come across similar situation, knows a workaround/better solution, please let me know..Thanks in advance!!

I think the simplest you can do is a delta-VT PTAT loop,
4 transistors and a resistor. But if your supply span is
large relative to VT then a simple large value resistor
could be "good enough". A 4 transistor + 2 diode +
resistor loop will make you a "low quality" bandgap PTAT,
one more resistor and you can have a voltage reference
of "housekeeping grade".

MOSFETs in triode make lousy resistors by any measure.
Their sole virtue is "cheap".

You don't really want a fixed current over temp, you want a current that keeps your transconductance fixed over temp. That should fix your gain problem. Vt (or d-Vbe) is the right choice for BJT input stage, dVgs is the right choice for MOS input stage. Dick's advice is a good one, although there are many methods to creating a PTAT current with just a few transistors. If you have good resistors in your process it should be easy. If not, you can build a bit of a custom tempco source using what you have available. Often, oscillators need a weird tempco to make them flat over temp so it's not unusual for me to generate one custom tempco current just for that block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back