Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OPAMP Voltage Follower for ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBTECH

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,

I am reading a temp sensor data between 0-10Volts with an ADC capable of reading 0-2.5V.

So I made a voltage divider and a voltage follower with lm 324 opamp which is sourced by 9V single supply. I am not experienced about analog circuits and i made this test circuit in the attachment .

When i connect no loads to the output i measure 0 volts , when i connect 120 ohm to the output through ground i measured 0.55 V on the output. I measure 2.25 volts between non inverting input and ground. but at the common point (output and inverting input point ) to the ground i dont measure the same voltage. It must be same according to theory of opams.

I tried to put 5 ohms and my opamp overheated itself , now no matter i connect anything to its inputs or outputs,when i just power it with 9V it overheats itself , i think its broken now.

So what should i do to make this voltage follower work . I always had so many problems with opamps , i wanna solve my problems with them this time.. Could you share ideas to make this voltage follower work ?

Many thanks ..

Screenshot_1.jpg

Last edited:

LM324 is specified to source >20 mA, so it should be able to drive 2.25V into 120 ohm, but surely not 5 ohm. It shouldn't be damaged by shorting a single output according to the datasheet. The reported behaviour isn't understandable from the datasheet. Either the device has been damaged or there are other unsaid circuit problems.

Reactions: SBTECH

SBTECH

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you , I think my problem was due to something wrong with my chip or my pcb. I just made the circuit on breadboard with a new chip it seems like working nice.

Are you talking about Output Current Source value written in the datasheet when you are implying >20mA . Also In other circuit I am using 2.25 volts as buffer again and in the output of the OPAMP I have a 5K potentiometer to create a reference voltage between 0 and 2.5 volts for my microcontroller ADC . But When I drive 2.25 volts through buffer my ADC reference voltage changes between 0.3 and 1.8V while I was trying adjust with pot. ? Is there any way to make this work between zero and 2.25 volts ?

Understanding the datasheet values are really hard for me , do you know any wiki source or something about this issue ?

FvM, Thank you very much for your glance at my circuit !!

It has been a while,but the problem about my circuit was due to the OPAMP. I changed the chip with a new one and everything worked fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.