Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

opamp output clips far from rail values

Status
Not open for further replies.

hani nik

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all.

I am using a CMOS opamp with power supply 0 to 3 V. The opamp is used as a buffer with the output driving a transducer input based on the signal fed to the non-inverting input. My problem is that the output clips at 1.8 V. I need to drive it op to 2.6 V or so.

I know the output clips at a certain point but I thought it would be close to the power rails. The opamp is suppose to be able to produce close to rail-to-rail output.

Is this normal?

Thank you.

It may be normal. What type of opamp is it? How much current is it driving into the load?

It is OPA2336PA.
How do I check how much current it drives into the load? Find the resistance of the load and then apply V=IR?

If your load is resistive, then V=IR will work fine.

The TI data sheet shows two graphs, "OUTPUT VOLTAGE SWING vs OUTPUT CURRENT". Although the graphs are for a different power supply voltage than your 3V, you'll see that even a few milliamps of load causes the output voltage to drop significantly. That could be your problem.
https://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/opa2336.html

Also, if you signal is at too high a frequency, the output voltage won't reach rail-to-rail. See graph "MAXIMUM OUTPUT VOLTAGE vs FREQUENCY".

Also, if you signal is at too high a frequency, the output voltage won't reach rail-to-rail. See graph "MAXIMUM OUTPUT VOLTAGE vs FREQUENCY".
Yes, but this effect can clearly be distinguished from clipping as it is caused by slew rate limitations. The latter produces a triangular waveform.

P.S.: You said, your operating the OP as a buffer. Then the said behaviour is expectable from the datasheet, cause the amplifier is not input rail-to-rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.