Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Op-amp summing voltages of opposite polarity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

Can you sum two voltages with opposite polarity with a op-amp summer circuit?

I have a 0-3,3V signal that is going to be amplified through a op-amp to 0-33V, but!
When the signal is 0V the op-amp should output ~ -3V, could I use a op-amp summer with the 0-3,3V signal and a -0,3V to end up with -3V to +30V?

Giving that the op-amp is being supplied with say +35V/-5V.

This is one way to solve it.

You have specified 0~3.3V in and -3 to +30V out.
This requires a gain of 33/3.3 = +10 and an offset of -3V.

Using an inverting gain of (-9) and non-inverting gain of +(1+9)=+10, the (-ve) input would need a reference input of +0.333V with a gain of -9 = output offset of -3V.

The input signal goes direct to (+ve) input.

You can look after the rest of the OA design parameters..

That seems like a much easier way to do it, although i don't really understand how to adjust both inverting and non-inverting gain but i managed to come up with this result. The scenario i asked about is one of two nearly identical circuits only the output polarity is changed, in the second version(bottom of picture) i had to decrease the reference input to 0,27V. But that is not a problem, but I'm curious regarding if there is another solution.

Thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• q.png
    q.png
    10 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.