Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

op amp real input impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

houly75

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all
I'm interesting in instrumentation op amp and I would want to know how I can calculate the differential input impedance and the common mode input impedance of an op amp circuit.

I can't find a serious article or application note that show how I can calculate the input impedance of an op amp with considering real input elements of the op amp (resistance not the capacitance).

The first op amp stage is a simple differential op amp :
**broken link removed**
how I can calculate the common input impedance with considering the impedance of the op amp ? and the same for differential impedance ?

The second stage is an instrumentation stage :
**broken link removed**
same question...

here is the equivalent circuit that I found on the net
**broken link removed**

thanks a lot for your help and sorry for my poor english

look,every where that u want to find common mode input impedance,u should apply two equal dc voltages to the both v1 & v2 and analyze the circuit.(in image1 Zd will have no voltage so it is open. and C.M. impedance is 2Zcm || 2Zcm. in image2:voltage of Zd1 & Zd2 & R0 will be zero and c.m. impedance is as image1.)finding diff. mode impedance is more voluminous! I remember that for image1 it is: 2Zcm||((1+AB)Zd. B=feedback factor=R2/(R2+R1).I suggest u reading this book:Microelectronic Circuits - Adel S. Sedra, Kenneth C. Smith. it is the best!

Hello Aomidee, and thanks a lot for your interesting answer.
Well I have a question (probably stupid..) for the first schematic, I have just one remark, you said that Zd has no voltage on it, is it because the impedance of R1 and R4 are the same ?

for the second image, I'm OK.

for the differential, you're probably right but what is the method to find differential input impedance ?

Thanks a lot for your help

PS : the book may be interesting but I'm wonder if I would have explanation of analog circuits not in physics terms like i probably find in microelectronic books, I mean that I would prefer a reference book in analog... maybe the title is not the reflect of the content of the book ... ?

1- It is because (R2/R1)=(R3/R4). In other words we have same voltage dividers, so we have same voltages at two input nodes of opamps.Note that it is not necessary to apply a DC voltage,it can be ac but equal at v1 & v2.
2- To find differential input impedance,we apply a signal source across the V1 & V2(without ground) and calculate the amount of impedance that signal senses! In feedbacked circuits There are 2 ways:(1)KVL/KCL (2)we should first analyze the circuit without feedback,then divide/multiply to K=1+AB.If u don't know about feedback,first read the book!
-Microelectronic circuits(Sedra) is a comprehensive reference book that it's main argument is about analog circuits(explains about physical basis of devices just a bit) It's interesting to know that this book is text book of analog course at some good universities around the world.

Hello
thanks a lot, you have finished to convince me ! :) I'm going to buy the book.
Thanks for complement of explanations.

Added after 1 hours 6 minutes:

Re,

I have another question about the datasheet of the AD620. They present a solution to improve the common mode rejection when using a shielded cable. I don't understand how it works, in the datasheet they specified that the AD548 is there to minimize the effects of capacitance of the cable... but how ... ? Do you know this method ?

Status
Not open for further replies.