Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OP-AMP query - trouble understanding the current direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

INS-ANI

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
OP-AMP query

In basic opamp structure,i am having some trouble understanding the current direction.
I have attached an image, where both current flows from GND to the inverting and non-inverting terminal.
My question is why? for the non-inverting terminal, the current should flow towards gnd(lower potential).

Re: OP-AMP current direction

INS-ANI,
Don't be mislead by the "+" and "-" symbols. The do not represent polarity. They are simply symbols to identify the non-inverting and inverting inputs. The actual current flow direction of the bias currents can be either direction, depending on the internal circuit design of the op-amp.
Regards,
Kral

OP-AMP query

@kral, thanks
I have some more questions.

1) significance of 0 dB circuit in case of an integrator.
2) How to minimise offset and drift error in an integrator.

thanks

Re: OP-AMP query

INS-ANI said:
I have some more questions.
1) significance of 0 dB circuit in case of an integrator.
2) How to minimise offset and drift error in an integrator.
thanks

1.) I don´t understand the question
2.) In each case - non-inv. or inv. integrator circuit - the opamp needs resistive feedback across the capacitor.
However, in most cases the intergator is used not as a single unit but as part of a more complex circuitry (filter, control units). In all these cases there will be a stabilizing resistive "overall" feedback path and the integrator circuit itself needs no separate stabilization.

INS-ANI
I also do not understand question 1.
I agree with LVW on question 2. The result is a 1st order lag filter, not a true integrator. This approximation to an integrator may be acceptable if the RC time constant RfCf is large compared to the interval over which the integration takes place. There are a couple more things that you can do:
Make sure that the resistance to ground is the same for both op-amp inputs. This will eliminaate drift due to input bias current.
There is nothing that you can do about drift due to input offset current, other than provide a compensating input current to the inverting input (for an inverting integrator). This can be difficult because input offset current is a function of temperature. Of course you should select an op-amp that has low input offset current.
Likewise, there is nothing that you can do about drift caused by input offset voltage, other than providing a compensating voltage to the NI input to the op-amp. This can also be difficult because input offset voltage is a function of temperature. Of course you should select an op-amp that has low input offset voltage.

Regards,
Kral

OP-AMP query

0 db gain means u must set its gain 1,for reducing some practcal limitations u can use resistance equalent resistance to parallel combination of (resistances at feedback n input resistance on -ve terminal)then gnd +ve pin using this resistance

xulfee said:
0 db gain means u must set its gain 1,for reducing some practcal limitations u can use resistance equalent resistance to parallel combination of (resistances at feedback n input resistance on -ve terminal)then gnd +ve pin using this resistance

???
Do you speak still about opamp integrators ?

Status
Not open for further replies.