Status
Not open for further replies.

sandeepkiranv

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can we use op amp for dc voltage amplification ? Does DC amplifier and DC to DC converter represent same ?

No. Op-amp outputs are always within the limits of their supply voltage, never higher. They can amplify a small DC signal, but only up to the limit of their supply.

It takes a DC-DC converter to create a higher voltage from a lower one.

No. Op-amp outputs are always within the limits of their supply voltage, never higher. They can amplify a small DC signal, but only up to the limit of their supply.

It takes a DC-DC converter to create a higher voltage from a lower one.

DC amplifier and DC-DC converter are same or different ?

I used an op amp to amplify a DC voltage. I was measuring current through a wire (by measuring voltage differential across it). The real value was between 0 and 40 mV. I adjusted op amp gain to be 200x. This gave me an output from 0 to 8V.

So this was DC amplification.

thanks sir for your answer. i have one more doubt can we call DC amplifier as DC-DC converter or not. what the difference between these two terms.

Hi,

I think it's clearely explained that a DC DC converter is soeting completely different than a DC amplifier.

DCDC converters are used to generate supply voltages.

Amplifiers are wisely used, usally as signal amplifier.
Inside a power supply unit they are used as control loop, error amplifer....

Klaus

My solar garden light has a 1.2V battery but the DC to DC converter in it boosts the 1.2V to about 3.5VDC to light the colors changing LED. It does not have a DC amplifier.
My audio amplifier amplifies the tiny signal level from my MP3 player so that it can drive a speaker. It does not have a DC to DC converter.

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.