Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oil level sensor: ultrasonic, ir or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvan121

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
i'm looking for a sensor which have to return the oil level into a tank.
I've already looked several sensors, but i'd like to hear also your opinion.
The idea would be to check/measure the remaining amount of oil into a tank through the sensor and send the data to a tiny computer in order to elaborate these data.

Have you already had any kind of experience with this kind o things?

I haven't looked the pressure sensors, just because it would mean to make also some changes to the tank.

best regards

Elvan Aytogan

Is there chance to take measuring of weight of that tank ? What is dimesions ?

What oil ? Viscosity ? Purity ?

I afraid for safe and redundant measuring of thise materials you should have appropriate solution, based on good data or you will have often some malfunction or bad readings of sensors, in some cases can be even dangerous. Just see what "experts" done in badest nuclear plants catastrophe ever in US, SSSR, Japan.

The tanks are the house oil tank, not something special. The dimensions may vary depends on how many liters may contain the tank, and the oil used is the normal disel fuel.
I have already looked for several sensors, but i wasn't sure about the right one cause considering the variable gas, pressure and fuel, any decision choosen could be very risky.

Hi Teptar,

This is really interesting ......I went through the pricing information of the sensor that you mentioned approximately ~$130 , Can it possible some cheaper solution for kind of measurement....Can you please put some light on this aspect....As the sensor is used to measure the level of Oil ....what will be safty aspect on need to consider If one design such sensor In house....

with regards,

milind

Last edited:
what about ir or ultrasonic sensors? cause with those kind of sensor are you limited by the heigh of the tanks

You will need a gauge pressure transmitter, the pressure inlet of that will be connected to the base of the tank. The transmitter will give an output of current 4 to 20 mA corresponding to the pressure head of the oil in tank, which in turn you could calibrate in terms of litre, gallon , cubic metre etc depending upon the dimension of oil tank and your choice of unit. That output could be connected to a computer through a suitable signal conditioning device to fulfill your requirement.

There is also one cheap and by me maybe best solution for this.

If you have existing tank you know tank volumen lets say in litres. Or if you dont know you can alway determine and discover some point in tank is how much in litres.

Install mechanical fuel pump counter similat to water counter, but this is special designed for fuel. Also there is fuel counters with transcducer. And you always knows how much you spent and how much left inside tank.

Also area temperature will be one of parameters which take in calc also.

"Cooking of fuel" can give huge amount of fuel expansion on higher temperature, I should say amazing. That best knows truck drivers which drive fuel cisterne. I know that they can still about 200litre per every cisterne (25000-30000). Often you can see reach cisterne truck drivers with hardly finished few classes of elementary school.

Measuring fuel in tank specially if tank is on ground (not underground) volumen of fuel in tank will be different on lower temp and higher temperature. This differences in fuel volumen caused by fuel expansion/contraction under different temperature can be putted on minimum if fuel tank is underground.

Sometimes people are shocked specially on strong winter days when they see low level of fuel in tank, or "Where evaporate 1000 litres from tank?"

I think that formula is like this, if I'm wrong please someone correct me :

If we have lets say 15000 litre tank, and tank is on ground, (not underground) this english kill me
Temperature is 35C

Coefficient of thermal expansion for diesel = 0.00046 per degree Fahrenheit

Difference in volume = Coefficient of thermal expansion * difference in temperature * quantity in tank
= 0.00046 * 95 degrees F * 15000
= 241,5 litres

This calc also should be included into calculating of family "black gold" ammount.

Last edited:

The premise of question suggests that the post author is looking for a simple solution for a simple purpose. Your suggestions are good for a very critical fuel tank which involve temperature fluctuations causing the offset of basic parameters, but let us leave that for the rocket scientists. Regarding changes in the tank, all oil tanks usually have a drain port in the base of the tank which could be used to connect the pressure transmitter.

Last edited:

Regarding changes in the tank, all oil tanks usually have a drain port in the base of the tank which could be used to connect the pressure transmitter.
There are some safety aspects against bottom flange mount, e.g. requirement of double-walled tanks. It's also not feasible for underground tanks.

By the way. An "air bubbler level" meter with a manual pump (not involving any electronics) is a commonly used remote sensor for underground tanks since at least 50 years.

Last edited:

The air bubbler may be used but it will complicate the task e.g. provision of air source, a gauge for back pressure measurement, the tank height length piping for bubbler, all adding to the net cost of the system, even then how you would get the output to connect to the computer. If safety is the prime consideration, I would suggest the following digital pressure sensor which could be used to measure and monitor fluid level through a computer:
Bosch Digital Pressure Sensor BMP085
The data sheet could be downloaded from
www.bosch-sensortec.com

Last edited:

The air bubbler may be used but it will complicate the task e.g. provision of air source, a gauge for back pressure measurement, the tank height length piping for bubbler, all adding to the net cost of the system, even then how you would get the output to connect to the computer. If safety is the prime consideration, I would suggest the following digital pressure sensor which could be used to measure and monitor fluid level through a computer. The link is :

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...5-6-ND/1987016

Digi say page not found for that link, maybe bad clipboard data.

Page Not Found_1342989659149.jpeg

Magneto Resistive Fuel Level Sensor

**broken link removed**

Magneto resistive sensors are suitable for all fuel or fluid combinations, including LPG and LNG. It is used in cars. Picture above

I suggest the HELLA brand ASIC Ultrasonic oil sensor.. It also measure temp... I suppose you could measure the fuel volume or height or the air volume or height

The sensor architecture of the oil level sensor PULS (Packed
Ultrasonic Level Sensor) comprises one single multi-chip module
which integrates the ultrasonic and temperature sensor as well as
an ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit). The
compactness of our sensors increases their impact and vibration
resistance compared with sensors that are fitted with numerous
electronic components. The ultrasonic sensor integrated in the
multi-chip module transmits a signal that is reflected by the
bounding surface between the motor oil and the air.
The signal’s running time is measured and the filling level is
calculated depending on the speed of sound in the medium. The
attenuation cup attached above the multi-chip module serves to
calm the medium (particularly) in the dynamic measuring range.
The attenuation cup has openings on the base and at the tip
which allow permanent oil flow.
Screen shot 2012-07-22 at 4.43.20 PM.png

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...9q3wvL&sig=AHIEtbTrdmVLgEJPYgQ-B3ixl0PwR62FIw

dang dupes ...8-O

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-07-22 at 4.38.51 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-07-22 at 4.38.51 PM.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back