Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Offline PFC'd flyback in "constant off time" control....problem (L6564 IC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,

We wish to do a Power factor corrected flyback LED driver for a 60W led load. (240VAC input)
We wish to use no electrolytic capacitors at all.
We also want full dimmability down to 5w, and want it to be power factor corrected all the way down to 15w.
We rejected the Boundary conduction mode flyback designs, since theiir switching frequency gets unfortunately high at light loading.

So we chose the Fixed off time control using an L6564 controller . This is described in the app note, AN1792 by st.com (at bottom)
We have it always in DCM.

First of all, in order to “check out” this fixed off time control method, we bashed together a prototype in the lab, as in the attached schematic. It uses fixed off time control, but this one is just 13W, as we just wanted to see how it worked (the fixed off time control).

It worked just as expected for an hour in the lab…worked very well indeed…nice sinusoidal input current from the mains, and no electrolytic capacitors used whatsoever. I was running it, turning it on and off, and happily soldering probes on for all kinds of scope tests.

Then I removed it from the AC power source, and instead connected it to our carroll and mennell isolation transformer, and the LNK302 blew up. There’s a short on the “14VPRI” rail, and after disconnecting the 5V regulator, the short is still there, so it looks like the L6564 has gone short.

Do you know of any “bad boy” stories about the connection of the L6564 controller in fixed off time mode? Maybe the ZCD pin just isn’t meant to be connected up like this?

AN1792…fixed off time control with L656X
**broken link removed**

L6564 datasheet
https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/l6564.pdf

We cant get a response from st.com

---------------------------------------------

Corrected schematic submitted by OP:

L6564_flyback_in_COT jul28 125.jpg

Found at:

https://ibb.co/f2S8pT

Last edited by a moderator:

Re: Offline PFC'd flyback in "constant off time" control....problem (L6564 IC)

My reply is not from expert knowledge...
but my simple simulation shows several hundred volts developing on the snubber capacitor C25, during times of light or no load. It does not appear to have a direct connection to your control IC, but it could be worth checking into.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thanks, yes, very probably.....Sorry the pdf schematic above (in the top post) is the wrong one i posted by mistake, it would best be deleted from the post. This schematic is not relevant to the post, i apologise for this.

Did the fet go dead as well? if not then check for how extra volts could get onto any of the IC pins at power up, if the fet did die, it may have died just as you disconnected it which would lead to a bang at the next power up ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back