Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NFET can take 30V VGS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

Why would you intentionally driver higher gate voltage than +/- 20V?
Thanks, i have a 1kW Boost PFC schem which has a strange looking gate "snubber"....this is obviously because they expect transient voltages above 20V.
But the datasheet says it can handle up to 30V if its AC...so i was wondering of the attached snubber is a bit "overkill"?
I mean, presumably it can handle gate voltage spikes up to 30V?...because they are effectively AC?....or have an AC content, should i say.

Attachments

• PFC totem pole gate driver 3.pdf
    149.6 KB · Views: 151

Sometimes inductive load on the drain causes large transients. The internal cap between the drain and the gate causes the gate voltage to rise above 30V, the zener snubber suppose to protect the gate. Some datasheets recommend it and some IR mosfets have integrated zeners.

This all depends on the physics of failure which you don't get to know.

To me, 30V @>1Hz means 50% duty equating to 15V DC stress over time (neglecting any element of reversibility in whatever is the deciding mechanism).

That is what I'd criticize any time averaged gate voltage figuring, against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back