Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nexys3 FPGA with MicroBlaze

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsgil85

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Im trying to get an idea if it is possible to implement a MicroBlaze processor on Nexys3 Board (Xilinx - XC6SLX16) with very light program that pass data to I2C controller(from Uart) without choking the FPGA resources.

In other words how can i estimate the amount of resources do i need for the MicroBlaze and it's program?

Thanks
Gil

From the DS160 datasheet:

Device XC6SLX16
Logic cells 14,579
Slices 2,278
Flip-flops 18,224
max dist ram (Kb) 136
DSP48s 32
18Kb BRAMs 32
Max RAM (Kb) 576
CMTs 2
Memory controller blocks 2
PCI endpoints 0
Trancievers 0
Total I/O Banks 4
Max user I/O 232

From the microblaze documentation.
It looks like it takes <1000 LUTs and <1000 Flip-flops to implement a simple MCS system. As there are 4 LUTs per slice and 8 FFs per slice the MCS will take <11% of the device...

Pretty easy to do estimations if you read the documentation. Besides Avnet sells a LX9 microboard USB stick that is for embedded development using microblaze.

Hi ads-ee

Thank you for your reply,
I read the Micro-blaze doc but still, how do know the resources statistics for the Microblaze Program (not the core IP) ?

Thanks
Gil

Ask a software engineer. i only work on hardware, so I'm not conversent with the lines of C to bytes of memory relationship. Regardles 5he LX16 has only 32 block RAMs, so a 32KB memory would use half the block RAM in the part.

Status
Not open for further replies.