Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie with automotive electronics question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagon Master

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey folks,

I'm building a custom rod and want to do some electronics in it, but I know nothing about electronics. I'm NOT asking you guys to design anything for me, but simply to tell me what words I should be using to describe the project to local techs who will design it.

Here's what I would like to do:

Instead of running a bundle of wires from the dash to the front lights and all the way back to the rear lights, I'd like to run a single power and ground, and have the light switches connected to some sort of sender board that will "pulse" a signal down a single wire to reciever boards at the front and rear of the truck. The reciever boards will be connected to the power wires via a series of relays and the "pulse" would tell the reciever boards which lights to turn on.

Thank you for your time

The CAN bus is normally used for control in automotive.
It is well supported.

Unfortunately, I won't be using a CAN sysytem. In fact, my system pre-dates OBD I. I pretty much need a stand alone.

You can use a LIN interface. it is very simple and is supported form several small microprocessors (freescal)

Status
Not open for further replies.