Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie LED/Power/Brightness question

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthur2005

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Great forum! I have a question I hope someone can answer. I'm making something for my employer, it's an LED lighting system consisting of three white LED's powered by battery. The LED's have to be as bright as possible and last as long as possible from a 3 volt battery power supply. My question is, which battery would you choose to power these LED's. Either a lithium or 2 1.5 volt AA batteries? Would there be any difference?

Also what LED would be the best choice? I need it to be as bright as possible and consume the lowest amount of power possible.

Thanks for any help...

Art

For white LED's you can chose NICHIA or OSRAM. You'll have to respect the limitations betwen brightness and batery life time. The best to make some tests to define minimum brightness and then go to battery selection.

Regards!

Hi,

Every battery should have a data sheet where the battery capacity is specified. So, you just choose the higher capacity type if the physical size is not the problem.

Check the forward voltages of the white leds, probably they have a forward voltage higher than 3V (I think around 3.5 V) and you will need a voltage converter (DC-DC) to get a voltage suitable to turn the leds on.

NiMh, NiCd will do...
Better intensity may be obtained if pulsed high voltge is applied..

Try any high candela led because it will give more light by consuming less power..

u can chose ultra bright white LED, of any manufacturer.
it will give high intense light and can be operated through a 3v battery

Status
Not open for further replies.