Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie: Help with a TTL connection chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominus_Mors

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello to all. I am new to working with electronics and i am confused a little bit. I already have installed a 74LS175N chip (quad flip-flop with CLR/ CLK) and connected LEDS, switches, VCC and GND. It works perfectly. Now i have to connect the signal to enter a 74LS47N BCD Decoder and after this to a Seven-segment Display. If someone can tell me how to connect the signal from the 74LS175N to the BCD decoder, and if the Seven Segment needs VCC and GND. Any Help would be grateful.
Thanks in advance!

In order to determine the connection from the flip-flops to the decoder, we need to know what the counter is supposed to be doing. Is it counting from 0 to 9 to F, random order, or some preset pattern?

As for the Decoder to 7-segment interface, check out these sites (Google is your friend... searched "bcd decoder to 7 segment" ;-)).
Interfacing to 7-Segment Displays
**broken link removed**

In general, 7-segment displays just just a bunch of LEDs. The decoder supplies the positive voltage and the other ends of all the LEDs are tied together at "Common Cathode". In diodes, including LEDs, the high voltage pin is the anode, and the low voltage pin is the cathode, thus "the common cathode pin".

no just a 4-bit counter....but its a little complicated because i have to add next a second 74LS175N (8-bit of memory ) that need to have common input channel and we were said to use the tri state buffer 74LS126N.....and from the two chips the signal goes to both LEDS and Seven-Segment.

So ok, i have connected a-g but i dont know where to connect the 2 COM.

Thanks again.

OK i got the idea...so im connecting both COM's to VCC?

Yes, both COM connected to Vcc.
In the common anode display, all the anode connections of the LED's are joined together to Vcc and the individual segments are illuminated by connecting the individual cathode terminals to GND via series resistors. The purpose of resistor is to protect the LED element by limiting the current that flows through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back