Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

new laptop suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abeer_h

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

I want to get a new laptop but I'm confused! I decided to get a toshiba laptop but I don't like their design. moreover their laptops are heavy. I liked this model but I heard about its noisy fan and some cooling problems so I'm not 100% sure about it Review Toshiba Satellite R630 Notebook - Notebookcheck.net Reviews

My financial situation isn't the best so I won't pay more than 1000$ for a new laptop. Mainly I will use the laptop for design. I won't use it for gaming or listening to music. Also I'm thinking about installing Linux on it with windows. So what is the best laptop that suits my budget and usage? I can go for HP,IBM,Asus or any good one but I have no experience with them. Please help.

Thanks,
Abeer :twisted:

For lighter weight consider a netbook. Less expensive than a laptop.

Smaller screen. May be unacceptable.

Some have a better keyboard than others.

Netbooks lack a DVD/CD drive. You'd need an external drive to install Linux from a CD. Unless they've made it possible to install some other way.

Also consider a used unit. Buyer beware of course.

See the toptenreviews website to see if they provide comparisons.

Reactions: Abeer_h

Abeer_h

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Go for Sony..! I am using Sony Vaio from last 3 years. Its fan doesn't make any noise at all, no battery heating problem. Everything is awesome. Price is higher as compared to other brands but it gives you quality. Your budget is OK. You can install Linux with windows on any laptop. One more thing if not required, purchase 32bit windows version.

Abeer_h

even before considering which manufacture of laptop ,
first write down your requirements.

some points to be considered.

1.for what purpose the laptop is going to be used ?
2.for how many more years you expect your laptop to be operational ?

3.in future after some years , will it be servicable to some extent ?
not at component level , but at pheripheral level , like finding a dvd/cdrom drive as replacement.

4.whether you can shell out some money after the warranty is over ?
5.if personal laptop , apply more caution , than for a company level laptop.

if you can detail on these points , some suggestions may pour in.

Abeer_h

Thank you all for replaying.
1-I will use the laptop to run design and simulation applications. So memory and processor are the most important factors.
2- I expect to use it for 3 years.
3- It is a personal laptop
My budget is 1000$

Abeer :twisted:

Ofcourse RAM and processor are key to run simulation but keep one thing in mind 32 bit operating system can't handle more than 4GB RAM (2^32 = 4096*2^20 = 4 GB). To address more than 4GB of memory you require 64 bit operating system.

does that mean that 32bit os applications have a limit ?
and 64bit os apps have no limit compared to 32bits?

can you give example of a 32bit app where this 4Gb is a limitation?
for a laptop does it matter ?
and for design and simulation?

(32bit win have 2Gb virtual space for apps)

Typically large simulations runs on Servers having 64 bit operating system. Laptops are not intended for large simulations. 32 bit operating system can handle maximum 4GB of physical memory(RAM). So 32 bit applications are such that they require memory less than 4GB. If your application requires more than 4GB ( VLSI simulation requires that) than than you need to have 64 bit operating system. I didn't said that a 32 bit application requires memory more than for 4GB. Only 64 bit applications requires more than 4 GB.

right.the Op is going for laptop for personal use.
and if it is VLSI ,no way of using as you know the cost of such sw , exorbitant and beyond personal reach.

for a personal laptop , 64 bit os is only a marketing .
32bit is more than enough for normal apps.

You can go for HP or Dell they are low weight and good.

Abeer_h

iam buying lenovo laptop
compared to money highest processing but low finishing
i liked it more and i will buy one tomorrow
**broken link removed**

for budget 1000 dollar you can buy
**broken link removed**
it's problem as i thought is it's VGA ATI i think nvadia is best
ACK)59-064223:3999LE[/url]

Abeer_h

I am using Dell inspiron 15R, it is good performance wise, and i like the design as well. You want a light weight laptop so it will be a good choice for you.

don't give up on macbooks!
you can find refurbished ones that are definitely under $1000

acer 5740g
it is good lap
price under 1000$
and it is wonderful lap and very useful for run design and other work
and it can work more than 3 year
with no doubt

As you have asked for a very long battery life so my suggestion is the laptop which is recently released by toshiba and is said in market as real alternative of macbook pro, it is Toshiba Portege R835-P81 which is a 13.3 inch laptop with the following specifications:

Intel Core i5-2430M Processor 2.4 GHz (3.0 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 3MB L3 Cache
Configured with 6GB DDR3 1333MHz (max 8GB)
640GB (5400 RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive
13.3" diagonal widescreen TruBrite TFT LED display at 1366 x 768 native resolution (HD)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with a 6 cell/66Wh Lithium Ion battery pack; Battery Life Rating (measured by MobileMark? Productivity 2007); Included 6 cell battery:

Battery life up to 9 hours, 0 minutes.

Abeer_h

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back